If you’ve ever worked from home, you know that it’s a totally different dynamic than going to work at an office. Throw in there having your spouse work from home too, and it makes for a fascinating work environment. Top it all off by both working from home and running two separate businesses under one roof and you get to where my wife, Lauren, and I find ourselves: CRAZINESS!
Yes, to some, it may seem like the dream lifestyle. Both work from home, having flexible schedules 😂 and enjoying the life together. But, we’ll be the first to tell you that it doesn’t really work like that most of the time.
On The Business Life today, my wife and fellow entrepreneur, Lauren of Lauren Heim Studio, jumps on as my guest! I was super excited to do this show with her! We talk about not just working from home, but how we balance two businesses, maintaining a normal lifestyle and our shared passion for small businesses. Take a listen!
Meet Lauren Heim, Lauren Heim Studio!
My story is one I am proud of, because like anything worth having, I fought to get here. After working at a desk job for a couple of years, I took the leap and became an entrepreneur in 2012, just weeks after getting married. I launched my business with a focus in wedding planning, given my background in events and public relations. Working as a wedding planner teaches you some major gumption, hard work, and how imperative kindness is in business. (Something I will carry with me for always – kindness rules the world.) And patience, you learn to have a lot of patience.
I like to think that God was painting plans on my canvas and I didn’t even know it at the time. I was lettering for clients and various projects throughout those three years, but in 2015, we decided to accept our last weddings. It was bittersweet, but being a full time artist is my dream and I’m living it.
You will find my lettering style is modern, while mixed with classics, clean and often whimsical. (Holy Guacamole!). My typical mediums are brush and watercolor. I create all of my pieces with brush (or pen) and paper out of my home office, with my pup at my feet. Normally with an Anthropologie candle lit, and Ben Rector playing.
Key takeaways from this episode:
- What it’s like to work from home with your spouse!
- You think running one business is hard? Try two!
- Get an insight into how, as business owners, Lauren and I balance work and lifestyle.
- Going down separate business paths as a married couple can be difficult: learn how we manage by helping each other plus our plans for our businesses in the future.
Like this episode?
- Leave a review on iTunes! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ You can also subscribe to The Business Life on iTunes to automatically get new episodes on your devices!
- Live “The Business Life” every day by following along with me on Facebook (facebook.com/andrewheimbiz), Instagram (@andrewheimbiz) and LinkedIn (linkedin.com/in/andrewheimbiz)
- Subscribe to my email list for exclusive business insights and resources: